Research Streams with Related Publications (and Work in Progress)
1. Social Media Use and Impact
- Scialdone, M. J. and Zhang, P. (2015). The Impact of Social Media Features on Teaching Presence in Communities of Inquiry. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Workshop on HCI Research in MIS. Ft. Worth, TX, December 14-17.
- Scialdone, M. J. (2013). Understanding The Use and Impact of Social Media Features on The Educational Experiences of Higher-Education Students in Blended and Distance-Learning Environments. Doctoral Dissertation. School of Information Studies, Syracuse University
- Scialdone, M. J., Rotolo, A., & Snyder, J. (2011). Social Media Futures: Why iSchools Should Care. Proceedings of the 2011 iConference, 514-521. Seattle, WA, February 8-11.
- Scialdone, M. J. and Zhang, P. (2010). Deconstructing Motivations of ICT Adoption and Use: A Theoretical Model and its Applications to Social ICT. Proceedings of the 2010 iConference, 212-217. Urbana-Champaign, IL, February 3-6.
- Scialdone, M.J., and Zhang, P. (In Progress). (Re)defining Communities of Inquiry in the Age of New Media. Target: Internet and Higher Education.
2. Intellectual Development of Information-Related Fields
2.1 Management Information Systems
- Ku, M-C., Scialdone, M. J., & Zhang, P. (2012). Absent Information Technology in Legitimate Information Systems Research. Proceedings of the 2012 iConference, 465-467. Toronto, ON, February 7-10.
- Zhang, P., Scialdone, M. J., & Ku, M-C., (2011). IT Artifacts and the State of IS Research. ICIS 2011 Proceedings, Paper 14. Shanghai, China, December 4 -7.
- Zhang, P. and Scialdone, M. J. (2010). State of IT Artifacts: An Analysis of ICIS 2009 Research Papers. PACIS 2010 Proceedings, 1251-1262. Taipei, Taiwan, July 9-12.
- Scialdone, M & Zhang, P. (In Progress). Conceptual Banners in IS: Understanding The Philosophical Underpinnings in Information Systems Research and Their Connection to Practice (Target: Information Systems Research)
- Scialdone, M & Zhang, P. (In Progress). IT Artifacts: Changing Notions Over Time in the IS Discipline (Target: Journal of the Association for Information Systems)
2.2 Human-Computer Interaction
- Scialdone, M. J., & Zhang, P. (2013). Applying Extended Adaptive Structuration Theory to Qualitative Research on Human-Computer Interaction. Work to be presented at ICIS 2013. Milan, Italy, December 15-18.
- Scialdone, M. J. (2010). Establishing Best Practices for Scholarly Research Based on the Tenets of Human-Computer Interaction. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction 2(4), 141-150.
- Zhang, P., Li, N., Scialdone, M. J., & Carey, J. (2009). The Intellectual Advancement of Human-Computer Interaction Research: A Critical Assessment of the MIS Literature (1990-2008). AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction 1(3), 55-107.
- Scialdone, M.J., and Zhang, P. (In Progress). Adaptive Structuration Theory as a Framework for Understanding the Use and Impact of Technology in Qualitative IS Research: An Example of Social Media in Higher Education. Target: Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
2.3 Information Science
- Snyder, J., Heckman, R. & Scialdone, M. J., (2009). Information Studio: An Arts-Based Approach to Educating Technical Professionals. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 60(9), 1923-1932.
3. Non-Technical STEM Educational Design
- Scialdone, M.J., and Connolly, A. (2017) Demonstrating Fit in a Human-Computer Interaction Class Through Paper Prototyping. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Austin, TX, November 5-8.
- Scialdone, M.J. and Connolly, A (2016). A Creative Approach to Devising Non-Technical, Meaningful Exercises in Human-Computer Interaction Undergraduate Education. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Las Vegas, NV, November 6-9.
4. Open Source Software Development
- Scialdone, M.J., Li, N., Heckman, R. & Crowston, K. (2009). Group Maintenance Behaviors of Core and Peripheral Members of Free/Libre Open Source Software Teams. Boldyreff, C., Crowston, K., Lundell, B., and Wasserman, T., (eds). Proceedings of The IFIP WG 2.13 Working Conference on Open Source Systems (OSS 2009). Skövde, Sweden, June 3-6.
- Scialdone, M. J., Li, Q., Heckman, R., & Crowston, K. (2009). Group Maintenance Behaviors in the Decision-Making Styles of Self-Organizing Distributed Teams. Proceedings of the 2009 iConference. Chapel Hill, NC, February 8-11.
- Scialdone, M. J., Li, N., Howison, J., Heckman, R., & Crowston, K. (2008). Group Maintenance in Technology-Supported Distributed Teams. Academy of Management Best Papers Proceedings. Anaheim, CA, August 9–13.