Download Full CV: last updated November 2019
Referred Academic Journal Articles
- Scialdone, M. J., and Connolly, A. (2019) How to Teach Information Systems Students to Design Better User Interfaces Through Paper Prototyping. Journal of Information Systems Education (revised and resubmitted on November 13, 2019 following minor revisions)
- Scialdone, M. (2010). Establishing Best Practices for Scholarly Research Based on the Tenets of Human-Computer Interaction. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction 2(4), 141-150.
- Zhang, P., Li, N., Scialdone, M. J., & Carey, J. (2009). The Intellectual Advancement of Human-Computer Interaction Research: A Critical Assessment of the MIS Literature (1990-2008). AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction 1(3), 55-107.
- Snyder, J., Heckman, R. & Scialdone, M. J., (2009). Information Studio: An Arts-Based Approach to Educating Technical Professionals. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 60(9), 1923-1932.
- Stam, K. and Scialdone, M. J., (2008). Where Dreams and Dragons Meet: Participant Interaction in Furcadia and Other Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games. Heidelberg Journal of Religions on the Internet: Being Virtually Real? Virtual Worlds from a Cultural Studies’ Perspective 1(3). Available from http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/volltexte/2008/8290
Referred Conference Proceedings
- Gomillion, D., George, J., Scialdone, M.J., and Becker, A. (2019) Cognitive Apprenticeship: Teaching Students How to Think Like an Expert. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Cleveland, OH, November 6-9.
- Gomillion, D., Becker, A., George, J., and Scialdone, M.J. (2019) Learning How to Teach: The Case for Faculty Learning Communities. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Cleveland, OH, November 6-9.
- Scialdone, M.J., and Connolly, A. (2017). Demonstrating Fit in a Human-Computer Interaction Class Through Paper Prototyping. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Austin, TX, November 5-8. (Distinguished Paper Award)
- Scialdone, M.J. and Connolly, A (2016). A Creative Approach to Devising Non-Technical, Meaningful Exercises in Human-Computer Interaction Undergraduate Education. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Las Vegas, NV, November 6-9.
- Scialdone, M. J. and Zhang, P. (2015). The Impact of Social Media Features on Teaching Presence in Communities of Inquiry. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Workshop on HCI Research in MIS. Ft. Worth, TX, December 14-17.
- Scialdone, M. J., & Zhang, P. (2013). Applying Extended Adaptive Structuration Theory to Qualitative Research on Human-Computer Interaction. Work to be presented at ICIS 2013. Milan, Italy, December 15-18.
- Ku, M-C., Scialdone, M. J., & Zhang, P. (2012). Absent Information Technology in Legitimate Information Systems Research. Proceedings of the 2012 iConference, 465-467. Toronto, ON, February 7-10.
- Zhang, P., Scialdone, M. J., & Ku, M-K., (2011). IT Artifacts and the State of IS Research. ICIS 2011 Proceedings, Paper 14. Shanghai, China, December 4 -7.
- Scialdone, M. J., Rotolo, A., & Snyder, J. (2011). Social Media Futures: Why iSchools Should Care. Proceedings of the 2011 iConference, 514-521.Seattle, WA, February 8-11.
- Zhang, P. and Scialdone, M. J. (2010). State of IT Artifacts: An Analysis of ICIS 2009 Research Papers. PACIS 2010 Proceedings, 1251-1262.Taipei, Taiwan, July 9-12.
- Scialdone, M. J. and Zhang, P. (2010). Deconstructing Motivations of ICT Adoption and Use: A Theoretical Model and its Applications to Social ICT. Proceedings of the 2010 iConference, 212-217. Urbana-Champaign, IL, February 3-6.
- Scialdone, M.J., Li, N., Heckman, R. & Crowston, K. (2009). Group Maintenance Behaviors of Core and Peripheral Members of Free/Libre Open Source Software Teams. Boldyreff, C., Crowston, K., Lundell, B., and Wasserman, T., (eds). Proceedings of The IFIP WG 2.13 Working Conference on Open Source Systems (OSS 2009). Sko?vde, Sweden, June 3-6.
- Scialdone, M. J., Li, Q., Heckman, R., & Crowston, K. (2009). Group Maintenance Behaviors in the Decision-Making Styles of Self-Organizing Distributed Teams. Proceedings of the 2009 iConference. Chapel Hill, NC, February 8-11.
- Scialdone, M. J., Li, N., Howison, J., Heckman, R., & Crowston, K. (2008). Group Maintenance in Technology-Supported Distributed Teams. Academy of Management Best Papers Proceedings. Anaheim, CA, August 9–13.
- Li, N., Scialdone, M. J., Howison, J., Heckman, R., & Crowston, K. (2008). Group Maintenance in Self-Organizing Distributed Teams. Proceedings of the 2008 iConference. Los Angeles, CA, February 28-March 1.
- Guzman, I., Stam, K., & Scialdone, M. J. (2008). What to do with Geeks and Nerds? A Collaborative Website Analysis Workshop. Conducted at iConference 2008. Los Angeles, CA, February 28-March 1.
- Stam, K., Scialdone, M. J., & Perretta, H. (2007). Ethnography Goes High Tech: Studying Online Cultures Virtually. Paper presented at 47th Annual Meeting of the Northeastern Anthropological Association. Ithaca, NY, April 20-21.
Non-Peer Reviewed Reports
- Reynolds, R., Scialdone, M. J., & Caperton, I. H. (2010). Evidence of High School Students’ Development of Contemporary Learning Abilities in a Game Design Program in Rural West Virginia. www.worldwideworkshop.org
- Reynolds, R., Scialdone, M. J., & Caperton, I. H. (2010). Pre- to Post-Program Change in Middle School Students’ Six Contemporary Learning Abilities (6-CLAs) through Project-based Design of Web-Games and Social Media Use. www.worldwideworkshop.org
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Paper Award (2017) for Scialdone, M.J., and Connolly, A. (2017). Demonstrating Fit in a Human-Computer Interaction Class Through Paper Prototyping. EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education. Austin, TX, November 5-8.
- Academy of Management 2008 Best Paper Proceedings for Scialdone, M. J., Li, N., Howison, J., Heckman, R., & K. Crowston (2008). Group Maintenance in Technology-Supported Distributed Teams. In In Academy of Management Best Papers Proceedings. Anaheim, CA, August 9–13.
- Faculty Award (2006) in the Information Design and Technology Program at SUNY Institute of Technology (awarded to one graduating student per year).
- Chancellor’s Award for Academic Excellence (2006 nomination) awarded to outstanding students in the entire State University of New York system.
- Dean’s List Honors (1995-1999) for four semesters at Utica College.
The State University of New York at Fredonia (August 2014-Present)
280 Central Ave. Fredonia, NY 14063
- Assistant Professor of Computer and Information Science
Trident University International (October 2013-August 2014)
- Part-Time Instructor: Taught multiple sections of courses in the School of Information Systems
Association for Information Systems (July 2013-October 2013)
- IS Historian Assistant: Spearheading various logistical and organizational tasks related to creating, preserving, and storing historical documents/artifacts related to the history of the Information Systems Discipline
Syracuse University School of Information Studies (Fall 2006-Spring 2013; Summer 2014)
245 Hinds Hall, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Adjunct Instructor (Summer 2014): Taught graduate-level course “IST 649: Human Interaction with Computers
- Instructor (Spring 2011-Spring 2013): Independently teach multiple sections of undergraduate course “IST 444: Information Presentation and Reporting”
- Research Assistant (Summer 2012): Analyzed pilot data and drafted research grant proposal with Dr. Ruth Small
- Research Assistant (Summer 2011): Collaborated on continuing research project with Dr. Ping Zhang and co-authored drafts of conference papers
- Graduate Assistant (Spring 2009-Fall 2010): Worked as Managing Editor for AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI); and collaborated with Dr. Ping Zhang to co-author conference papers and a journal article
- Research Assistant (Summer 2008): Collaborated on the research design of a pilot study with Dr. Ruth Small; and drafted up an NSF research grant proposal under the guidance of Dr. Robert Heckman
- Research Assistant (Summer 2007-Fall 2008): Conducted data analysis as part of a, NSF-funded research project under the guidance of Dr. Robert Heckman; and co-authored multiple conference papers
- Graduate Assistant (Summer 2007-Fall 2008): Collected and organized materials for a tenure case; organized, and moderated labs for Information Security class; co-managed research lab and a research project under Dr. Derrick Cogburn; and conducted content analysis on a funded research project
State University of New York Institute of Technology (Summer 2011)
100 Seymour Road, Utica, NY 13502
- Adjunct Instructor: Independently taught online section of graduate-level course “IDT 590: Communicating Online”
Syracuse University Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs (Summer 2007)
200 Eggers Hall, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Research Assistant: Spearheaded content analysis project under the guidance of Dr. Peg Herrman and Dr. Derrick Cogburn
MetLife Disability (November 2004-August 2006)
5950 Airport Road, Oriskany, NY
- Business Analyst (Jan. 2006-Aug. 2006)
- Disability Case Manager (Nov. 2004-Jan. 2006)
Circuit City Stores, INC. (June 1999-November 2004)
- Merchandising Manager (July 2000-Nov. 2004)
- Media Specialist (June 1999-June 2000)
- Reviewer (2017): Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology
- Reviewer (2016; 2017): EDSIG Conference on Information Systems and Computing Education
- Reviewer (2016): European Conference on Information Systems (2016)
- Reviewer (2015): Americas Conference on Information Systems
- Reviewer (2015): Journal of Information Technology
- Reviewer (2015): AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction: Special Issue on HCI in Health and Wellness
- Reviewer (2013; 2011): International Conference of Information Systems
- Volunteer (2012): International Conference of Information Systems
- Reviewer (2012): iConference
- Reviewer (2010; 2011): Journal of the Association for Information Systems
- Managing Editor (2009-2011): AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction
State University of New York at Fredonia (2014-Present)
- University Senate Chair (Summer 2018-Summer 2019): Coordinate activities of Senate and standing committees; and serve as faculty and Senate’s representative in meetings with administration and University Council
- Provost’s Council (Summer 2018-Summer 2019) In conjunction with the role of University Senate Chair, this membership is intended to represent the voice of the faculty in meetings on matters related to Academic Affairs
- Working Group on E-Portfolio Creation and Workflow Review (Fall 2017- Spring 2018): Review digital tools and processes for university reappointment and tenure
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Brown Bag Lunch Committee (Fall 2017-Fall 2018): Help to organize speakers and talks for ongoing lunch-hour lecture series
- Information Security Council (Fall 2016-): Three-year appointment to further institutional responsibility regarding sensitive information
- Outreach Committee: Newsletter (Fall 2016-): Oversee development of department newsletter
- Colloquium Committee (Fall 2016-Spring 2017): Making conference and speaker recommendation
- Working Group for Online Education Steering Committee (Spring 2016-Fall 2016): Providing advice and recommendations for improving the university’s online offerings
- Vision Statement Revision Committee (Spring 2016): Provided advice and recommendations for improving the university’s online offerings
- CIS Undergraduate Affairs Committee Co-Chair (Fall 2015-): Developing curriculum revisions for two Computer Information Systems degree tracks
- Fredonia University Senator (Representing Computer and Information Sciences Department [CIS]) (Fall 2015-Spring 2018)
- CIS Student Activities (Fall 2015-Spring 2016): Assist in organizing expos and student-oriented activities, competitions, socials, and internships
- CIS Executive Committee (Fall 2015-)
- CIS Recruitment (Search) Committee (Summer 2015-Spring 2016; Summer 2016; Fall 2017-Spring 2018)
- Publication Committee Chair (Fall 2014-Spring 2016): Oversee public publications and advertisements for department; including website and social media.
- Computer Science Club Advisor (Fall 2014-Spring 2017)
Syracuse University (2006-2014)
- Instructional/Online Technologies Committee (Fall 2012-Spring 2013): Discuss practical methods for improving faculty adoption and use of classroom technologies.
- Faculty Search Committee (Summer 2011): Served as a student representative in reviewing applications and interviewing candidates.
- Doctoral Student ListServ Administrator (2008-Present): Manager of the internal listserv for doctoral students in the School of Information Studies.
- Preparing Future Faculty (2007-2009): Helped to organize and moderate two panel sessions that addressed issues for future faculty.
- PhD Peer Mentor (2007-2008): Served as the “go-to” person for incoming PhD student cohort, and worked with faculty to coordinate their transition.
- PhD Committee (2006-2007): Contributed to discussions regarding the PhD program guidelines; and participated in new student admission processing.
Radio Show Host/Producer (1995-2016)
- Weekly Pre-Recorded Show WPNR 90.7FM Utica College (2012-2016) and WCVF Fredonia Radio Systems (2014-2016)
- Weekly Live Show WERW 1570AM Syracuse University (2006)
- Daily Live Show WPNR 90.7FM Utica College (1997-1999)
- News Co-Anchor WPNR 90.7FM Utica College (1996-1998)
- Weekly Live Show WPNR 90.7FM Utica College (1995-1997)
- García-Murillo, M (upcoming textbook) Leadership for Global Engagement
- Syracuse University Daily Orange (2008)
- Self-published weekly online (1997-1999; 2001-2004
- Utica College Tangerine (1997-1999)
Freelance Photographer (2010-Present)